Empowerment of Individuals in Third Gender Community
- Regarding issuance of certificate / identity card to third gender persons.
- Revised order of Chhattisgarh "Third Ling Welfare Board".
- In relation to the third gender community. Directions circulated by respective departments of governance.
An important decision has been given by Hon'ble Supreme Court, New Delhi on 15.04.2014 in relation to the writ petition of the National Legal Services Authority ,against the Government of India and others. By which Supreme Court instructed the Central / State Government to improve the daily status of third gender persons, to get them a proper place in the society and to provide them various benefits of government schemes.
Instructions have been given by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, New Delhi vide letter No. 17-18-2013-DP II (VOL II) to implement the recommendations of the Expert Committee constituted in relation to the persons belonging to the third gender by the date of July 21, 2014.
In pursuance of the above instructions, Government of Chhattisgarh, Social Welfare Department informed GoI Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, New Delhi vide letter No. F7-1 / 2014 / SC / 26, dated 10.10.2014 regarding the directions given to the concerned departments (Chhattisgarh Government General Administration Department, Tribal and Scheduled Caste Department, Women and Child Development Department, Urban Administration and Development Department, Technical Education, Mass Education Planning, Department of Science and Technology, School Education Department, Police Headquarters, Panchayat and Rural Development Department, Labor Department, Public Works Department , Health and Family Welfare Department, Higher Education Department, Public Relations Department) and all heads of Departments/ District Heads/ related officials etc.
- Government of Chhattisgarh, General Administration Department, New Raipur, declared the Social Welfare Department as nodal department vide Order No. / F-1-2 / 2014/01 / F, dated 11-09-2014 for the supervision of programmes / schemes implemented by various departments of the state for the welfare and protection of the rights of persons belonging to the third gender community.
- In order to provide the benefits of the various governmental schemes and make the inter-departmental coordination for welfare of the third Gender persons, the Third Gender Welfare Board has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Honorable Minister, Social Welfare Chhattisgarh vide Order No. / F7-1/2014/SW/26 dated 04.10.2014 of Secretary, Government of Chhattisgarh, Social Welfare Department. Third gender Welfare Board has a total of 16 members including The Principal Secretary / Secretary of the concerned department, 05 non-governmental member (four Third gender members and one representative from the NGOs).
The board shall have liability as under :-
- The board will benefit the persons of third gender community from different scheme by coordinating various departments.
- The Board will focus on social security, housing, education, employment, health, income growth and needs of this class.
- Board can frame and implement the scheme for third gender persons as an agency for this class.
The 08-member district committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of Collector / Additional Collector at district level by Order No. / F-63/2012 / SW / 26 dated 17 October, 2014 of Secretary, Government of Chhattisgarh, Social Welfare Department, for implementation of the identity and welfare schemes of the persons belonging to the third gender community.
The District level committee shall have following responsibilities:-
- The above committee will issue certificate / identity card to the persons belonging to the third gender at the district level. This certificate will be valid for all government purposes such as ration card, passport, Aadhaar card and birth etc. (especially for third gender). The format has been forwarded to all district officials by the letter no. / SW / P/ 324/2014/2165 dated 28.11.2014 of Directorate Social Welfare.
- Survey has been done for identification of third gender persons in all districts of the state. As on June 30, 2015, total of 2779 third genders are identified and survey form have been filled, in future, there is full potential of increase in number, by publicity and public awareness in the community.
- Government of Chhattisgarh Social Welfare Department vide Letter No. F-63/2012 / SC / 26 dated 01.10.2014 has issued instructions to provide grants to the volunteers working for the welfare and benefit of third gender persons
- Decision passed by Honorable Supreme Court New Delhi dated 15.04.2014
- Recommendations of Expert Committee formed in connection with the third gender community by the Government of India, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi.